Friday, September 6, 2013

Penny Experiment... good for the first day of school?

On the first day of school, the chemistry instructor used literal demonstrations to show his students what he had signed up for in his class. I like the idea of this, but I don't love the way most people do this. He showed cool party tricks that I think students enjoyed. One involved fire and one involved piercing but not popping a balloon. I found this link from one of my professors at SPU. He writes an awesome blog and is an excellent Biochemistry teacher. This particular glowing penny experiment would be an awesome first day demonstration because it outlines so many different chemical processes. Explaining how this one experiment shows so many different aspects of chemistry, based on something we use every day. So cool.

http://arrowthroughthesun.blogspot.com/2013/08/making-copper-pennies-glow-bright-red.html

No comments:

Post a Comment