Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Teacher Observation: Physics

When I entered JW’s classroom, I could tell he taught older students. Everyone was respectful and attentive yet chatting with their neighbors. It was clear these students knew each other well. There was a warm-up on the Smart Board the students were working through and then discussed as a class. The students have clickers where they punch in their answers so JW can see how the class does as a whole. Throughout the class the students worked through a handout and checked in at several points using the clickers. Clicker questions was the only form of questioning I observed JW use. He lectured about a certain graphical function at one point, giving the students the information they needed and then letting them work on their own. His transitions were smooth, but did not employ any questioning strategies. Although questioning was not used as an instructional strategy, the class was well managed due to JW’s dry and sarcastic sense of humor that the students respond well to. When students were chatting, I noticed JW would employ the stare down and wait out the students until they were quiet. Additionally, JW will go and sit at various tables to help students work through whatever problem they were on. He leaves students alone to work and only offers help when they ask for it. The students are competent and don’t need a ton of guidance to get through their work. JW is obviously excited about physics and gets excited during his lectures. I find this to be an extremely valuable instructional strategy as it both keeps student attention and makes the lecture more exciting. Students worked right up to the bell so there wasn’t a ton of time for a closer. JW was going somewhere right after school so he told his class to clean up and leave right when the bell rang. A welcome statement from a teacher. I enjoyed sitting in on JW's class. I know JW because he often hangs out in the classroom I teach in. He chats with other teachers and I have heard him talk about students and his teaching style in casual conversation. It was interesting to see him interact with his own students and compare what he says about his teaching to my observations of him as a teacher. I respect JW and feel that he has a natural rhythm that becomes palpable to all who enter his classroom.

1 comment:

  1. […] am required to observe practicing teachers. Several of these observations can be found here, here, here and here. During these observations, I found myself to be incredibly reflective on my own practice. […]

    ReplyDelete