Monday, January 4, 2016

Reading Groups

Spending time in elementary classes has given me a much needed education on elementary curriculum. One of the most interesting things I have observed from the teacher side is the reading groups. Every 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade class I have been in has some sort of reading groups where a group of kids meets to read with the teacher each day. While the students are not with the teacher, they are working on other tasks like reading packets, silent reading or vocabulary.
If I was to teach one of these grades, I want to write out my ideas on the subject. If you are a teacher and have other unique reading group ideas, please share!
- Read chapter books together??
- Read scientific articles together
- Group students by interest, science vs. animals vs. space, etc. to help students read what they like.
- Individualize non-group times.

No comments:

Post a Comment