Friday, March 25, 2016

5th Grade Free Write

Having students participate in a "free read" or "free write" successfully, takes some practice. One thing that seems to be motivate most students simply involves watching the teacher participate in the activity. I typed up what I wrote during a fifth grade free write activity in one of the classes that knows me pretty well.

"Free Write 2/16/16
 I LOVE being a teacher. I love watching students learn, grow, change, experience new things, make new friends and start figuring out what they are interested in. I think, looking back, that I taught my high school guys at ~ a 5th grade level. There are so many new things being learned in 5th grade. They are learning how to LOVE reading and writing. Things I love! For so long I wanted to help people figure out how to be successful in college, but now I'm learning that what I REALLY want is to teach people how to LEARN. Learning how to LOVE reading, how to LOVE math, how to LOVE writing. 5th grade seems like a good place to accomplish this."

Thinking about what grade I want to teach the MOST, is difficult. Some of my favorite things to teach:

  • Lab Reports!
  • Genomics
  • DNA
These subjects are not really applicable in 5th grade. So, what do I do? Teach middle school? Go back for a masters in elementary ed? Tough it out in an affluent high school? It's weird to be at a crossroads once again in my teaching career, but exciting and exhilarating at the same time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment