Thursday, October 15, 2015

A: Picky Teacher?

A few days ago, I asked the following question to the masses.
How did you get your teaching job? Did you wait for the position you wanted or did you jump into what was available? What was the outcome? And, have you ever had a teaching job that didn’t work out for you?

I did not get the response I was hoping for (other teachers who are trying hard not to be jaded by the education world) but instead was reminded that I am at the _beginning_ of my journey, not at the end or even in the middle. I would have responded to this question by saying that I got my teaching job because it was the first one I was offered. I thought it was the position I wanted so I jumped into it whole-heartedly. I was sorely disappointed. It didn't work out for me because I found that the population I was teaching (an all-male correctional facility for 14-25 year olds) was not what I expected  it to be. I I was thrown into situations that I was _not_ equipped for and had to make the best of bad situation after bad situation for a year. Now, it was not all bad. I enjoyed exposing students to new ideas and interesting concepts, helping students strengthen their writing and watch them achieve grades they never had before. I wouldn't trade my experience, but I'm also glad I'm not still in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment